PLAN YOUR STAY
We are looking forward to hosting you at the farmhouse.
Here is a guide to help you plan your upcoming stay with us. Be sure to visit this page 2 weeks or so prior to your arrival for the most up-to-date events, business hours and openings.
01 . TOP TIPS FOR A GREAT GETAWAY
Here are a few things to know about The WilfriD
• Your electronic door code to unlock the guest entrance during your stay will be the last 4 digits of the phone number you gave us upon booking followed by #.
• Look out for our online quiz in an email called “Your upcoming stay, a few things we'd like to know” in your inbox (sometimes it falls in the spams). It gives us cues on your approximate time of arrival and some of your likes and dislikes to help us customize your experience. Fill it out at least a few days before your stay.
• We are known for our elaborate brunches. We will have 2 seatings each morning (one at 8 am and a second one at 9:30 am). You will be able to select your preferred time on our guest quiz.
• We have two hand sanitizing stations, one at the side entrance and one upstairs near the bar fridge. We deep clean rooms between bookings. We simply ask that you respect the check-out time of 11 am to allow this to be done in time for the next guests to check in.
• Check ins are from 3pm – 9:30pm. On our guest survey you will be able to indicate at what time we should expect you. If you are running off schedule for your check-in, we would appreciate it if you could text us at 438-390-2505 to give us an update;)
• If you are planning on using our Sauna facilities, you will want to bring your bathing suits and/or bathrobes. We supply extra towels and bottles of water. If you booked the sauna with your stay, please schedule your sauna session through this link. If you did not pre-book your sauna, you simply need to let us know once you are on site and we will direct you to our online booking calendar to schedule your session. Sessions are 2 hours and private. Each session is $80/person plus applicable taxes. Please note that sauna sessions are non-refundable.
• We encourage you to try the amazing restaurants listed below. Prince Edward County is a food-centric destination.There are, however, no food delivery services in the area. For any take-away dinners you can eat on the premises in the library, in your room or at one of our outdoor seating areas.
• The Wilfrid Cellar is stocked with a selection of our favourite international wines as well as local wines, cocktails, ciders, seltzers, mocktails, and beers. So, if you forgot to pick up a bottle, or want to try something new, we have you covered.
• We have a caviar menu and you can also pre-order a 2-dozen oyster platter to be served at The Wilfrid (see dining options below for more info), because, you know, we want you to eat the good stuff!
• We ask that guests refrain from wearing perfume during their stay and put their cell phones away at the breakfast table. Let the smell of the food be your perfume and get social without the media!
Here are a few things to know about PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY
• You will want to bring casual attire and good walking shoes/boots. Days at the local beaches, nature parks and walks in the forest pathway behind the farmhouse are a great escape from the city. The vibe here in Prince Edward County is very laid back and casual, you can leave those stilettos at home!
• Prince Edward County is a rural island, it is the size of Toronto, very spread out and everything is usually 20 minutes drive to anything else. There's no reason to feel rushed though, just plan out your day accordingly knowing that hamlets from east to west are: Cressy, Waupoos, Picton, Bloomfield, Wellington, Hillier, Consecon. The Wilfrid is located in Milford a 12 minute drive south of the main town, Picton.
• Gas stations are located along Picton Main Street and Wellington Main Street. Make sure you have enough gas when you set out exploring for the day.
• When you cross someone on a bicycle, a car or walking down a country road it is polite to make eye contact, smile and wave by holding up your index and middle fingers. This is known as The County wave, you'll see locals doing this from their steering wheels.
• HOT TIP: Download the MacKay Pay app. It’s the paid parking system used across The County and at Quinte Conservation areas.
• GETTING AROUND WORRY-FREE Cab it to dinner by pre-booking a ride a few hours in advance with The Taxi Guy (613) 403-2766 or downloading the Uride App and have a local drive you.
02 . TOP DINING OPTIONS
coffee shops and lunch stops
Please keep in mind that our multi-course brunch should keep you well fed for the day. Guests often stop for a late day bite or opt for one of The Wilfrid afternoon offerings for a little pre-dinner nibble.
The double dozen Oyster platter.
Exclusively available at The Wilfrid. A 24 oysters platter with condiments. ($96) shucked and served between 3pm-8pm. Please order at least 3 days in advance by getting in touch with us: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Wilfrid caviar menu.
Exclusive to The Wilfrid. Choose from one of 3 caviar platter options from your room card as a pre-dinner appetizer. Served between 3pm-8pm. This can be ordered same day, simply allow 2 hours for preparation and service.
SUJEO korean restaurant (Picton, 15 minutes) Lunch & Dinner Tues. – Sat.
Beacon Bike and Brew (Picton, 15 minutes) Lunch and coffee. 7 days a week
CREPE ESCAPE (Picton, 15 minutes) Lunch Tues. to Sat.
Luso Bites (Picton, 15 minutes) Lunch and coffee. Mon.-Fri.
Piccolina Mercato (Wellington, 35 minutes) Lunch, coffee, pastries and Italian market & bottle shop. Wed. – Mon.
creekside cafe (Wellington, 35 minutes) Lunch. Fri. – Tues.
Harry’s Charbroiled PEC (Picton, 15 minutes) 7 days a week
SLICKERS ICE CREAM (Picton and Bloomfield locations) Best ice-cream ever!
Reservations are required. Guests are always surprised at how busy these restaurants are any day of the week.
Bocado Tapas bar (Picton, 15 minutes) Wed-Mon.
Flame + Smith (Bloomfield, 20 minutes) Thurs-Mon.
Stella’s Eatery (Waupoos, 15 minutes) Mon. – Sat.
Pasta Onesta (Picton, 15 minutes) Thurs. – Mon. dinners
Hartley’s Tavern (Picton, 15 minutes) Thurs-Sat.
The Royal Hotel Restaurant (Picton, 15 minutes) 7 days a week
The Merrill House (Picton, 15 minutes) Tues.-Sat.
SAND & PEARL FISH SHACK + OYSTER BAR (West Lake, 25 minutes) from May to October - Thurs – Sun.
La Condesa (Wellington, 35 minutes) Thurs – Mon.
DARLINGS PIZZA (Bloomfield, 20 minutes) Thurs. – Sun.
Bermuda PEC (Bloomfield, 20 minutes) Thurs. – Sun.
03 . TOP TASTING OPTIONS
WINE & COCKTAIL BARS
The Russ & Co Cocktail Bar (Picton, 15 minutes) Wed – Sun.
The Royal Hotel Parlour Bar (Picton, 12 minutes) 7 days a week.
Adega Wine bar (Consecon, 40 minutes) Thurs. – Sat.
KOENJI Whisky bar (Wellington, 35 minutes) Wed – Sun.
decanter pec (Wellington, 35 minutes) Thurs. – Mon.
With over 40 wineries in Prince Edward County it can be hard to choose which ones to visit. Here are our personal favourites, small owner run operations that pride themselves on locally grown varietals. Tasting rooms are mostly open year round but it is always preferable to call ahead for winter visits.
Exultet (Milford, 15 minutes walk)
Lighthall Vineyards (Cherry Valley, 5 minutes) + Sheep’s milk cheeses
Hubb’s Creek Vineyard (Hillier, 35 minutes) tastings by appointment only
Stanners (Hillier, 35 minutes)
Closson Chase (Hillier, 35 minutes)
Domaine Darius (Bloomfield, 30 minutes)
Morandin Wines (Wellington, 40 minutes)
Hinterland Wine (Hillier, 35 minutes)
Del Gatto Estates (Cape Vesey, 20 minutes)
Slake Brewing (Picton, 10 minutes)
Matron Fine Beer (Bloomfield, 25 minutes)
All My Friends Beer Co (Bloomfield, 25 minutes)
Prince Eddy’s Brewing Co (Picton, 15 minutes)
Parson’s Brewing Co (Picton, 20 minutes)
Gillingham Brewing Co (Bloomfield, 25 minutes)
Midtown Brewing Co (Wellington, 30 minutes)
cideries & DISTILLERIES
Stock and Row Cider (Bloomfield, 25 minutes)
County Cider (Waupoos, 20 minutes)
Crimson Cider company (Picton, 18 minutes)
STILLUS CRAFT SPIRITS (Bloomfield, 25 minutes)
KINSIP HOUSE OF FINE SPIRITS (Bloomfield, 25 minutes)
04 . TOP SHOPS
SHOP HOPPING IN PICTON
Zest Kitchen Shop
Books & Company
SAVON DU BOIS
Gilbert & Lighthall
Cylinder Studio (opening soon)
Prince Edward County t-shirt Co.
Carbon Art & Design
Arts on Main gallery
SHOP HOPPING IN bloomfield
Bloomfield Beauty Co.
Bloomfield Public House Market
05 . TOP THINGS TO DO
Here are a few ideas of things to see and do when you visit.
• Drive or cycle to two of the most spectacular nature conservation areas in PEC, Little Bluff and Long Point Bird Observatory. The prettiest places for a nature walk and beach views in The County.
• Book a pampering session at The Main Character PEC, Bloomfield Beauty Co, or The Royal Hotel Spa
• Hike the Dunes, walk the beaches and forest trails at Sandbanks Provincial Park.
• Have a soul session with horses here or ride like a cowboy here
• Have bicycles (regular and electric bikes available) delivered directly to The Wilfrid from County Bike Rentals, or rent an electric bicycle in Bloomfield here.
• Listen to County Radio at 99.3 fm for the latest news and fun radio shows.
• Follow @visitthecounty on Instagram for updates on happenings
• Go for a walk on our forest trail behind our property, along the Millenium Trail or on Macauley Mountain.
• Watch the sunset from the big barn or the firepit on our property.
• Rent a kayak, canoe or paddle board and cruise along Black Creek River towards Lake Ontario..
• Book a wine tour with https://www.unofficialwinetours.com/, https://www.countysips.com/ , or https://www.wineoclocktours.ca/
• Check out the exhibitions at Maison de Poivre Gallery, Oeno Gallery, 2Gallery, Andara Gallery, Mad Dog Gallery, Melt Studio, or Hatch Gallery
• Encourage small independent businesses along Picton, Bloomfield and Wellington Main streets.
• On Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, grab a coffee and pastry from PECish
• Pet an alpaca at SHED Chetwyn or Noble Beast Farms
• Tour a former WWII army base at Base 31, visit art galleries, have a Friday night outdoor dance party light by drones, or catch a live show there
• Drop in to the County Arts Labs and learn a new passion
• Catch a live show or a movie at the historic Regent Theatre
• Book a yoga or pilates session at Studio PEC in Picton
• Find which special events are taking place during your visit or read about all that's going on in the coming month.
• Slow down and relax.